[TriLUG] prowling for a small form-factor Linux box

John Turner jdturner at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 5 11:06:15 EST 2004

If you are going for audio only then you want something that doesn't
require a TV. I have followed media players for sometime now and I
would not build an audio only media player as there are too many good
options for less money that have much better UI.

Here are some options. All support Windows, most newer ones do OS X and
Linux using Samba.

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php
http://www.macsense.com/product/homepod/
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/producthome.asp
http://www.slimdevices.com/index.html

Also many of the AV receiver companies are adding this type of support
into new unit. Onkyo, HK, Denon all has units that play MP3s from you
computer.

For video and images there are many units, but the MythTV project has a
good offering in that area.

John