[TriLUG] routing/gateway problem on OpenBSD 3.4

ljacobs lj at mandala-designs.com
Fri Feb 6 10:29:21 EST 2004

Folks --

I have been running an OpenBSD 3.3 system with pf, that has been functioning as a firewall, and gateway for email and web servers with no problem. Yet, while trying to set up a 3.4 system (generic kernel), with an xl and an rl NIC, I am unable to get the local systems to get their packets routed out via the OpenBSD servers gateway.

In /etc/sysctl.conf, I do have the line:
"net.inet.ip.forwarding=1"

The server itself can reach internal and external
IPs, the internal hosts can reach the OpenBSD server, and can ping the external NIC address of the OpenBSD server but cannot ping
the gateway IP address.

The relevant dmesg output re the NICs:
rl0 at pci1 dev 6 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev
0x10: irq 11 address 00:30:1b:ae:a4:bf
rlphy0 at rl0 phy 0: RTL internal phy
"VIA VT6306 FireWire" rev 0x46 at pci1 dev 7
function 0 not configured
xl0 at pci1 dev 8 function 0 "3Com 3c905C
100Base-TX" rev 0x78:
irq 10xl0: command never completed!
address 00:04:75:8b:fd:14
exphy0 at xl0 phy 24: 3Com internal media interface

What do you think I am missing or forgetting? Must
be something obvious and yet whatever it is, is not apparent to me.

I have heard of this from others, who solved the issue by recompiling the kernel, but I would not think that that should be necessary.

Thanks.

Sent via the WebMessaging system at mandala-designs.com