[TriLUG] RFC: Mailing list protocol FAQ entry

Frye, Matthew Matthew.Frye at rexhealth.com
Mon Feb 9 12:38:53 EST 2004

I think maybe something about how we rely on the maturity of members to
"police" themselves.

Look, I've held my tongue for a long time because I thought what I had to
say about this matter may not be productive or beneficial, but this
self-righteous pseudo-intellectual beau monde is no more productive than
"scat humor" (although honestly, I don't think that's what Jim was trying to
do).  Of course, it's important for us to keep our eye on the ball and try
to keep the TriLUG list on topic, but if we're super worried about the
off-topic stuff, then we're missing the point of this list.

The "About TriLUG" section on the info page for this list says:

"This is the mailing list for the Triangle Linux Users Group. The list is
open to all people interested in Linux - although all Open Source topics are
acceptable.
This is an unmoderated list. However we ask that you be courteous in your
posts, and refrain from personal attacks and using profanity.
The list discussions can get quite lively at times. We encourage the free
flow of ideas and viewpoints. However, the managers of the list frown on
excessive explicatives [sic] and netiquite [sic] lapses, and we reserve the
right to remove people from the list who do not follow the above policies."
Yeah, refrain from personal attacks and encourage the free flow of ideas and
viewpoints.  Hey, maybe let's help each other understand and promote Linux
to _everyone_ instead of acting like a bunch of partisan politicians looking
for something to argue about.  This includes people who waste time and
bandwidth with "RTFM."  Let me fill you in on something...people who say
"RTFM" are self-righteous losers.
Honestly, I started the thread about the TriLUG lunch and indirectly the
talk about Jim's "experience", but no one is forcing anyone to read those
posts and certainly no one is soliciting a response.  If you don't like
something, find the delete key, but at least live up to your own standards.
You know who you are.
Matt Frye
PS - If we're so smart, let's get that info page edited properly.  It's
"expletive" and "netiquette."  RTFDictionary.