[TriLUG] Server suggestion for RH 9.0

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Feb 10 11:39:07 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 11:28, T.A. Nguyen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's time for me to get a new server any suggestion for hardware or where
> to buy a good server for Red Hat 9.0?

Remember that Red Hat Linux 9 is going to be "end-of-life" after April
30.  So you really need to be looking at Red Hat Enterprise Linux or
Fedora if you want something from the Red Hat "line".  Or White Box /
CentOS, which is a free clone of RHEL.  (Note: this post is not meant as
a distro war, just pointing out that RHL 9 is not a good choice for a
new server.)

As for hardware, I've had good luck with Dell servers.  They generally
(but not always) have decent support for the hardware components in
Linux.  One problem might be the Broadcom gigabit network cards that are
in some servers these days; I don't know what the current state of
support for those is.  But if you can get it with Intel e1000, or just
standard e100, you'll be fine.

Dell's small business section is often running specials on entry-level
servers like the PowerEdge SC -- I got one for about $250 after rebates,
including shipping & tax, a few months ago.

--Jeremy