[TriLUG] Antivirus recommendation?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Feb 10 13:34:41 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 01:19:56PM -0500, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
> The reason to look for virus protection on linux, in my experience, is
> most often to scan files either stored on the box (samba file server
> scenario), or passing through the box (mail gateway scenario).  Seeing
> as the original request was concerned with interfacing with sendmail,
> and scanning the shares associated with samba, it seems he has a mind to
> protect end user's who are running windows, by stopping things at the
> server for them.

That's precisely why I have recently added scanning on the server that I
am managing for one of my clients.  The scanning on the workstations (
AVG ) wasn't always catching everything, and we went through an infection this
week.

I have also gone the ClamAV route, in a QMail environment, along with
QMail-Scanner.  I am also looking at Odieavir, for that "belt and
suspenders" solution.

Brian