[TriLUG] Server suggestion for RH 9.0

kevin kevin at flanagannc.net
Tue Feb 10 19:25:10 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 11:28, T.A. Nguyen wrote:

I prefer HP Proliants.  Recently, just to prove it to myself, I took the
Fedora Core 1 CD, and a brand new Proliant DL380G3 and set up for
installation.   Found the onboard array controller, as well as the dual
Broadcom 1GB NICS, just fine thanks.  I think that  DL380 is a great
system for a wide variety of uses, 6 hot swap disk drive bays, one is
convertable to hot swap tape, AIT or DAT.  Loads of built ins, dual Gig
Ethernet, RAID controller, as well as the "Remote Insight" board are
standard parts, and redundant power supplies and fans are options. Of
course these aren't super cheap, but I believe that you get what you pay
for.

HP has just recently, or soon to be, announced a new lower end server,
some of the same features, but "stripped down", RAID, Insight, and
Smartstart support removed, but the core is still the same chipset, some
come with IDE drives, others SCSI.  It is my understanding that these
are about 1/2 the price of machines like the DL380.

Of course, if you need more drives, processors, etc, there are other
models.

Good luck,

	Kevi