[TriLUG] 802.11g

William R. Gomeringer pihlopase at pihlopase.net
Tue Feb 10 21:49:49 EST 2004

54g is not supported under Linux since the manufacturers refuse to release the
specs for these cards. All is not lost though. Check out these sites:

http://linuxant.com
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

The above two sites basically provide a wrapper around the Windows driver so
you can use your card. It's an ugly hack and frowned upon by many :) I have
used both successfully on an HP notebook. They are not always easy to set up
and note of warning: Linuxant wants you to pay them after 30 days for the
privilege to use your brand new 54g wireless in Linux. This is rather
annoying, since you already paid for the laptop. I do believe there is
another site that provides some driver for prism based 54g cards, but that
won't help you. Sorry to be the one to break this news to you, but not much
else you can do.

William