[TriLUG] where to go from RH9?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Wed Feb 11 12:00:33 EST 2004

We have been running our main office server on RH for the last three years,
recently upgrading to RH9, IIRC.  For two reasons, we are evaluating a
change:
1) The server is leased and the lease is up...we will probably
return it because the buyout price is ridiculous.
2) I have been told that there is not a direct upgrade path from RH9
to RHES.  Is this really true?

For either of those reasons, we will probably need to rebuild our server
from scratch.  Given that...we are considering our options:
1) RHES - $350/$700...includes 30 days of support
2) Fedora - $0
3) Debian - $0
4) SUSE Standard Server $499/server, includes support for one year
5) Mandrake Prosuite Business: $199 (can install on unlimited number of machines)

We use the server primarily for CVS, mail, documentation and file services...as
well as running our production builds and a few business processes.  Performance
has never been an issue.

Any thoughts about which direction we should go?

TIA,

Note...we have supported RH by purchasing the 'server' edition of most of the
recent versions of RH...but we are re-evaluating all of our ongoing costs
given the economic conditions...

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.           |  http://www.webperformancemonitoring.net

Website Load Testing, Stress Testing, and Performance Monitoring Software