[TriLUG] where to go from RH9?

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Feb 11 12:18:17 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, John Broome wrote:

> Whitebox Linux -- http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

FWIW, I started going down this road and backed off.  I think it's fine
for personal use but I wouldn't recommend it for business use because:

1) It is a one-man project (intentionally self-imposed limit).
2) It's only funded by a public library in Lousiana
3) There are already problems where security updates aren't getting out
fast enough.
4) There are unaddressed mirror server issues that don't seem to be going
anywhere.

I don't want to bet my IT infrastructure on just one guy who's only
funding is via public library and who's only real motivation is an ego
boost.

> cAOsity -- http://www.caosity.org/ (Build 6 released for testing on 2/9)

Slight correction.  This gets people all the time.  Don't confuse CentOS
(which is the Linux distribution we're really talking about here) with the
cAos distribution (which is built off of CentOS-2 but is much more
progressive).  The two distributions share infrastructure (mirror sites,
bugzilla server, etc.) but are much different from one another.  If you're
running cAos, you're not running an RHEL clone.  CentOS is the clone.