[TriLUG] where to go from RH9?

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Feb 11 19:28:03 EST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 18:49, Lee wrote:
> While Magnus may not always be the most diplomatic, his question is
> valid. The original poster is coming from RH9 so something similar is
> going to make an easier transition. Did you consider that before firing
> off your reply?

What he said.  :)

And yes, I am implying that Roberto has little to add to the discussion.  This
is not based only on the one simple header, but on past communications.

The recommendation by Roberto was also given without any explanation.  Is this
advice based on hearsay?  Real world use?  Tarot cards?  Perhaps it is true
what they say about the value of free advice.

Chris Merrill asked a question who's answer will have far reaching
implications for him and  for his employer.  Passing on hearsay as an
informed opinion isn't going to do him any favors.

If someone goes giving BS baseless advice on this forum, yeah, I'm going to
call them on it.  If Roberto knows what he's talking about, he will have no
problem backing up his statements.

And his choice of operating system is very relevant here.  Yes, many of us are
forced to run Windows at $WORK.  I spend about 40% of my time in Windows
there.  But this is not his work mail.  He's using Windows by choice, and his
exposure to Linux is less than that of the person he is giving advice to.
Was I rude?  That's certainly open for debate.  But Roberto's personal choice
in OS, experience with Linux and experience with this specific problem are
all very cogent to determining the value of his advice.

If you want to drag this out, please catch me in #trilug on irc.freenet.org
rather than clutter the mailing list further.  I'm ready to defend my
position.