[TriLUG] Re: Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (FC2t1) initial impressions

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Fri Feb 13 09:14:58 EST 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Lance A. Brown wrote:

>  From what I've been reading, the 2.6 kernel is a major win in desktop
> performance.  It really is *that* much faster than 2.4!

I was chatting with someone that has an @redhat.com email address and he
was saying that there was a lot more collaboration between the glibc &
kernel components this time which accounts for more performance gains than
the press has been giving credit for.  The libs are all supposed to be
prelinked now.  Mozilla, OOo, Gnome & KDE all have significant performance
gains of their own on top of the kernel & glibc improvements.  So the
gains are really compounded across multiple key components.

It's worth pointing out that I was using KDE, not Gnome.  Gnome is the
default desktop so I can't really comment on how much difference there
might be for the more typical FC2 user.