[TriLUG] Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (FC2t1) initial impressions

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Feb 13 23:13:21 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 07:29, Magnus Hedemark wrote:

> When I logged in for the first time, my jaw dropped.  This old Celeron box
> was downright quick, and the login time (keep in mind this is the *first*
> login, which usually take longer!) felt a lot faster than my 2.4GHz P4 at
> work that is running one of the RHEL clones (and previously ran Red Hat
> Linux 9).

Hi Magnus,

Thanks for the detailed review!  I was very skeptical about your speed
claims but then I installed FC2-t1 on an Athlon box at work today and it
was _mighty_ fast!  Felt like a CPU upgrade.  Its inspiring!

The downside has been some application flaky-ness.  I use the Gnome
desktop (never have been much of a KDE fan) and got two opportunities to
submit bugs when one of the configuration apps crashed.  Not enough to
render things unusable but then it is clearly marked as a test release.

Guess its time to switch the laptop!

And has anyone else noticed that FC2-final is scheduled for release just
two weeks before the RH9 end-of-life?  Coincidence?  ;-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com