[TriLUG] Fedora Core 2 Test 1 (FC2t1) initial impressions

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Sat Feb 14 00:21:13 EST 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 11:13 PM, Ed Hill wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 07:29, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
>>
>> When I logged in for the first time, my jaw dropped.  This old
>> Celeron box
>> was downright quick, and the login time (keep in mind this is the
>> *first*
>> login, which usually take longer!) felt a lot faster than my 2.4GHz
>> P4 at
>> work that is running one of the RHEL clones (and previously ran Red
>> Hat
>> Linux 9).
>

> Hi Magnus,
>
> Thanks for the detailed review!  I was very skeptical about your speed
> claims but then I installed FC2-t1 on an Athlon box at work today and
> it
> was _mighty_ fast!  Felt like a CPU upgrade.  Its inspiring!

How does it handle ACPI and SMP?  I've got a dual P3 box that I've
tried FC1 on, and it doesn't support the on-board USB in MP mode.  It
tries, but it doesn't get the right interrupt values out of the BIOS
(nor does any other OS), and won't get them out of ACPI (which is how
XP and NetBSD do work) claiming that the BIOS is "too old."

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org
ICBM: 38º 56' 32.6"N 77º 24' 47.7"W Z+62m