[TriLUG] Linux on Toshiba laptop not recognizing 2nd hard disk!

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Sun Feb 15 02:23:30 EST 2004

>I'm not sure why you're fdisking a device with data on it..  Seems risky
> me, but anyway...

I was just trying to use fdisk to view the partition information, so I
could
figure out which partition I wanted to mount under linux...

> So you're saying that, for example,
> root% mount -t ntfs /dev/hdc1 /mnt/amountpoint
> gives errors of some sort?  Or am I reading you wrong---

I actually never tried to mount any partition on hdc, because as best
as I can tell, Linux doesn't think there are any partitions on hdc.

> you are saying that
> you want to get at data on this second hd (which lin sees as /dev/hdc,
which
> has a number of ntfs partitions on it) while booted in Linux, right?

yes, that's the goal... all my music files are on an NTFS partition, and
I'd like to access them while I'm booted in Linux.  Luckily there are now
RPM's for the Linux NTFS support (read only, but hey, that's all I need
anyway)
and getting that installed was painless.  I was able to mount an NTFS
partition that's on the primary drive, no problem.  It's just this stinkin'
2nd hard-drive that's giving me problems...

Thanks,

Phillip

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org