[TriLUG] LAN/WAN interface question

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 16 11:41:37 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Mike M wrote:

> I need to open one server on my LAN to an outsider.  My Linksys
> router appliance (BEFSR11) doesn't seem to be up to the job.  I think
> it's time to upgrade to Linux.
>
> Reqs:
>
> * Allow a certain static IP address to ssh to a single server. (THis is
> the requirement the appliance doesn't seem to support.)

Even though the appliance may not support this option, you can certainly
restrict which IP address can connect via ssh with iptables on the local
server, and/or with the sshd configuration file.  This single issue isn't
really a reason to ditch the appliance IMO, but certainly setting up a
Linux firewall/router would be a good exercise.

--Jeremy