[TriLUG] open source by M$ and more at Duke 3/17

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 00:00:19 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 04:23:36PM -0500, Paul Jones wrote:

> There will be panels and presentations on the future of business and
> technology, including wireless technology, digital rights management,
> and open-source software (ironically this presentation is being given by
> a representative from Microsoft).

MS position possibilities:

1. After this week were open source too. Cool.

2. There is no open source.  It all belongs to us.

3. They distribute open source under MSPL.  As soon as you read the
code, then any code you write thereafter is a derivative work and
therefore belongs to us.  Even if you claim that you've never seen the
code, you're probably lying and you'll be sued in the en mass style of
the RIAA.

Should be interesting indeed.

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com