[TriLUG] Linux / Solaris Position

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 14:14:53 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:29:03AM -0500, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> This doesn't take into account the growing trend of offshoring.  We're
> already feeling the effects of this.  It remains to be seen whether
> offshoring will lose its lustre in practice or if this will change our
> profession for a much longer duration.

I think offshoring is changing our culture. I had lunch not long ago
with my friend Ravi.  He told me that his brother, a physician in India, gets
less than $10 for an office visit.  Upon hearing this I could imagine
going to a clinic for an exam with a local nurse-practitioner and a
fiberoptic link to India with Ravi's brother.  Then I would go to the
web to get my 'script filled. Then I read this this week:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3467105.stm

I've read that accountancy is being offshored.  I've also read, much
to my delight, that CEOs are going to be offshored too.  I don't think
we'll actually hear about CEO offshoring - it's too sensitive.

The blue-collars were the canaries.  The computer geeks are the the
second wave.  Offshoring works well.  Everything else will go now.  Don't
expect a significant rise in onshore project management as some predict.

I think it would be unwise to wait for the return of the good-old days.
I once thought I'd nestle into telephony until I retired.  Now I wonder
what I'll be doing next year at this time.  I'm not as bored as I used
to be.
--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com