[TriLUG] imap and secure authentificaiton

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Wed Feb 18 14:24:17 EST 2004

Ralph Blach wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Ok I am running RH 9.0 with all the updates and sendmaill as a MTA.
> Mozilla has two settings on the configure server configuration page.
>
> a) use ssl
>    I did this with no problems
> b) use secure authentifcaion
>    when I try to use this I get the message that the server does not
> support this.  How do I get Imap to support secure authentificaition?

It's a red herring.  You don't need "secure authentication" (aka SPA) if
you're already using SSL because the password never travels in
cleartext.  I think it's an Exchange thing.  It seems like I had it
working once using Cyrus-IMAP, but then again, I could be mistaken.
It's probably a compile time option for UW-IMAP that wasn't enabled in
the RH packages, but I can't help you there.

Joseph