[TriLUG] Re: voip

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 10:29:12 EST 2004

A 1Ghz with 512Mb and a SCSI disk subsystem is the minimum Asterisk
server that I would run.  That should work fine for handling both phone
lines as trunks and then connecting them to VoIP phones via SIP.

If you noticed during the demo I gave, there was some skipping on the
voicemail prompts - it wasn't too bad, but if I had been using a SCSI
disk subsystem instead of IDE, there wouldn't have been any skips.

Voice applications are very sensitive to any I/O blocking so you need to
keep plenty of cpu in reserve and make sure that the system doesn't wait
too long for data from the disk drives.

Jon Carnes