[TriLUG] fri am scat humor, win2003server, print queueing, linksys blows grits and advanced topics labs

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 13:29:49 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 11:58, Jim Ray wrote:

> On a serious note, my largest client just migrated from Windows NT4 to
> Windows 2003 Server and experienced a problem with sharing NT4 printer
> drivers on the 2003 server.  Me thinks Microsoft has implemented a feature
> to force users into upgrading NT4 workstations to XP Pro in order to print
> with server-based queues.

Jim what exactly is the problem you are experiencing here?  Have you
installed the print driver directly on the Win2003 server? Can it print
to the printers?

I've attached NT4 workstations (and Win 98) off of a Win2003 server and
they could print to the queues on the Win2003 server easily (though the
drivers were already installed on each workstation).

===
There really isn't too much of a problem letting the machines print
directly to the printers.  The machines will query the printer and if it
is busy they will simply queue the job locally.  It eats up local disk
space and RAM but it does work.

Jon