[TriLUG] permission issues with mounts

Errol Casey errol at nouce.net
Fri Feb 27 12:40:39 EST 2004

I'm having an issue where a setuid program (sendmail)  (that is owned by
root),is creating files that are owned by root. I want to overcome this
issue; as I need the files to be owned by the user rather
than root.

I believe it is an permission issue, of the mounts the local disk or
the NFS home directory.

The mount point of the local disk (spool area where the files are
being created), is 755 and owned by root.

The directory into which the files themselves are being written
are owned by the user.

I figure I must be forgetting something simple about permissions, and
mounts and thought I would toss it out -- to the list to see if I'm
overlooking something obvious.  (The NFS server is a Netapp Filer, the
clients are Linux servers...So it has some association with linux although
small :-)