[TriLUG] dhcrelay troubles

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Mon Mar 1 03:09:05 EST 2004

Here's the scenario:

I use a Mandrake 9.2 box as a router:

eth0: roadrunner
eth1: wired lan
eth2: crossover cable to a Linksys WAP11

I want my dhcp server to be able to discriminate requests based on adapter
origin.  Thus, anything through eth1 will get a 192.168.1. address, and
anything through eth2 will get a 192.168.3. address.  In order to do this, I
run dhcrelay.  Here's the theory, based on some VPN howtos:

Run dhcpd on eth1 and lo
run dhcrelay listening on eth2 and lo

So, we get this:

dhcrelay -a -i eth2 -i lo 127.0.0.1

The problem is that my WAP requests an IP address about three times a second
continuously.  If I accept this fact, it works.  My laptop connects
wirelessly and gets a 192.168.3. address.  The WAP keeps chugging away
though.  Somehow it's stuck in a loop that my laptop isn't.  What gives?

I can start dhcrelay, and everything is quiet.  Request an IP from my laptop,
and it works great.  Only then will the WAP chime in, requesting an IP
address about 3-4 times a second.

Any advice is appreciated!  Let me know if you want more details.

Michael