[TriLUG] mysql as enterprise choice vs postgresql, learning curves?

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 11:17:22 EST 2004

mySQL... would any one like to address its limitations for enterprise use...
does it now do stored procedures?  What about postgresql, and what's its
learning curve if I can do some mysql?  Size and power requirements?

I currently run mysql-3.23.x and it runs great.  However, I don't have stored
procedures capability, I heard this was coming in 4.x?  Also, after admining
mysql 3.x, how is the admin of postgresql?  I'm seeking enterprise DB options
that can be run on linux so I can do a cost analysis vs Microsoft.  Can ODBC be
used easily with either of these, in particular in terms of mail merges (MS
Word at this point) for mass distribution of personalized formal letters?
Presuming ODBC, Access front end possible for use on these databases?  (Yes, I
possibly need Access for an intermediate step before going full blown HTML/XML
with the entire application, sorry!)

Thanks,
David M.