[TriLUG] RE:mysql as enterprise choice vs postgresql, learning curves?

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Mar 1 12:44:39 EST 2004

David,
Check out
http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/limitations.html
http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages/
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/enterprisebusapps.php
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/

There are several organizations running postgresql with databases larger
than 1 TB.  Maximum Table size is 16 TB.  Maximum Row size is 1.6 TB .
Maximum Field Size 1 GB.

Transaction rollback, stored triggers and proceedures, and much more.

I asked a long time user when did he last lose data from database
corruption.  He answered " 1996".

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC

    >To: trilug at trilug.org

      >: [TriLUG] mysql as enterprise choice vs postgresql,
         learning curves?

>mySQL... would any one like to address its limitations for enterprise
use...
>does it now do stored procedures?  What about postgresql, and what's its
>learning curve if I can do some mysql?  Size and power requirements?

>I currently run mysql-3.23.x and it runs great.  However, I don't have
stored
>procedures capability, I heard this was coming in 4.x?  Also, after
admining
>mysql 3.x, how is the admin of postgresql?  I'm seeking enterprise DB
options
>that can be run on linux so I can do a cost analysis vs Microsoft.  Can
ODBC be
>used easily with either of these, in particular in terms of mail merges
(MS
>Word at this point) for mass distribution of personalized formal letters?
>Presuming ODBC, Access front end possible for use on these databases?
(Yes, I
>possibly need Access for an intermediate step before going full blown
HTML/XML