[TriLUG] iptables logging ! >/dev/console

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Mar 1 16:13:24 EST 2004

Best guess, not knowing how you have iptables, syslog, or dmesg (kernel
output) configured:

You can adjust what gets printed selectively by tuning your iptables
rules, syslog.conf, and adjusting the kernel internals directly (with
dmesg).  Yes, the messages are always going to be associated with the
kern facility, but you can specify, with each rule, what the log level
should be.  I imagine that currently, you're not specifying it, and
either it defaults to one of the higher level warnings, which by default
in your syslog.conf, will get printed to the console, or your
syslog.conf specifies that all kernel messages be printed to the console
(default on most redhat systems?) - or as Glen just suggested while I
was typing this, it doesn't matter because your echoing everything to
the console, which can be changed with dmesg.

Check that your specifying "--log-level info" with each of your rules,
or ensure you know what the default log level is
Check your syslog.conf  and see what is getting echo'd to the console.
Relevant lines look like:
kern.*   /dev/console
Once you're sure syslog isn't going to dole it out, set the level that
will be hard printed by the kernel with dmesg as Glen suggested

Aaron J.