[TriLUG] MASSIVE SECURITY BREACH

David R.Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Mon Mar 1 18:09:28 EST 2004

On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 04:36  PM, Stanley A. Schultz wrote:

> <snip>
>> Never been on a mailing list before?
>
> Lots of them, maybe a dozen for maybe 10 or 12 years or more. This is
> only
> the first one I've seen that advertises passwords.

Advertises?  What, was this password on the side of a city bus?  Or are
you about to accuse us all of "stealing your thoughts"?

>> Random need to spew venom without having any real basis to do so?
>
> No. Aghast at the careless, blase' attitude about security by the very
> people who are most vulnerable and who should be the most concerned.

Most vulnerable?  Linux?  WTF?  Try Windows 98.

On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 04:39  PM, Stanley A. Schultz wrote:

> Ian and All:
>
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Ian Meyer wrote:
>
>> "WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING? WHERE DO YOU KEEP YOUR BRAINS ANYWAY?"
>>
>> I can be tempted to say the same thing to people that freak out, yet
>> broadcast their email, 3 phone numbers and a fax in plaintext.
>
> Neither my E-mail address nor any of the phone numbers, not even the
> FAX
> number would allow someone with less than honorable intentions to crack
> the campus system. Broadcasting a password associated with a name
> clearly
> does.

Broadcasting?  What station?  I want to tune in so I can "crack" the
remainder of your personal information.

To TriLUG: Since Stanley is so well-versed in mailing list etiquette,
software, and general logic, I suggest you set your nerd filters to
high.

/drm