[TriLUG] iptables broke when I upgraded to linux kernel 2.6.3

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Mon Mar 1 22:55:19 EST 2004

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:01:28PM -0500, Peter Long wrote:
>> [root at albert root]# iptables --list
>> iptables v1.2.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables
>> who? (do you need to insmod?)
>> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> Are the iptables family of kernel modules loaded? Make sure your kernel
> configuration has them enabled, either as "y" or "m".
>
> Here's the snipped output of /sbin/lsmod on a 2.6.3-rc1-bk2 RH9 machine:
>
> ipt_REJECT              8576  2
> iptable_filter          3968  1
> ip_tables              21008  2 ipt_REJECT,iptable_filter
>
> --
> Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
> GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

okay great!
I can load these modules manually via modprobe but the
/etc/init.d/iptables script is still not happy.
root at albert root]# /etc/init.d/iptables start
Flushing firewall rules:                                   [  OK  ]
Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: nat filter                [  OK  ]
Unloading iptables modules:                                [FAILED]
Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore: line 46 failed
                                                           [FAILED]

line 46 referes to /etc/sysconfig/iptables. The line contains "COMMIT"
which commits changes to the filter table.

What changed from the previous kernel to this one that broke iptables for me?

--
Peter Long