[TriLUG] iptables broke when I upgraded to linux kernel 2.6.3

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Tue Mar 2 00:30:07 EST 2004

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:01:28PM -0500, Peter Long wrote:
>> [root at albert root]# iptables --list
>> iptables v1.2.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables
>> who? (do you need to insmod?)
>> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> Are the iptables family of kernel modules loaded? Make sure your kernel
> configuration has them enabled, either as "y" or "m".
>
> Here's the snipped output of /sbin/lsmod on a 2.6.3-rc1-bk2 RH9 machine:
>
> ipt_REJECT              8576  2
> iptable_filter          3968  1
> ip_tables              21008  2 ipt_REJECT,iptable_filter
>
> --
> Daniel T. Chen          crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
> GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Daniel,

Thanks for the advice. My firewall is back up. It seems the reason if had
not come up was because none of the modules had loaded. I loaded them
manually using modprobe and iptables-restore was happy to read my firewall
script.

Now the next step is to figure out why the iptables modules did not load
automatically. Any idea's would be appreciated. It probably has something
to do with the fact that I cobled this kernel together myself.

--
Peter Long