[TriLUG] mysql as enterprise choice vs postgresql, learning curves?

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 09:10:57 EST 2004

Thanks to everyone for their awesome responses to my query.  Ack, horrible pun!
 Anyway, it would seem that postgresql is best suited of the 2 for what I'm
going to need.  Now I have to get postgresql vs MSSQL battle preparations
underway!

... and thanks for not flaming one another over the 2 choices, I know that must
have been hard! *That* makes it an awesome discussion!

Thank you!
David M.

--- Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman at debian.org> wrote:
> Joseph Tate <jtate at dragonstrider.com> writes:
> > As for administration it's a little saner than the MySQL
> > installation.  Everything is configured through text files rather
> > than connecting to some system database.  If you're used to the
> > MySQL way of doing things then you might run into several
> > distinctions between the systems, but I don't think they will bother
> > *you* too much.
>
> Oh, I don't know if it's any saner.  I'd just say different.
>
> I mean, you still have to create users in a system database and grant
> them access, etc.---I perfer the PostgreSQL syntax ('create user
> blah'), but I think it's very much a case of De Gustibus.  And I don't
> think pg_hba.conf or postgresql.conf have anything to recommend them
> over my.cnf.
>
> I was an early MySQL adopter, first working with it back in, oh, early
> '96, I think. That said, these days I build diverse sorts of moderate
> to high volume systems running on PostgreSQL.  I generally try to stay
> out of MySQL vs. PostgreSQL discussions because I always end up being
> flamed, one way or the other.
>
> Never let it be said I'm not a slow learner. ;)

<<snip>>