[TriLUG] Fedora Core 1 and Winex 3.3

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Tue Mar 2 09:11:50 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 21:14, Chris Knowles wrote:
> I've just spent the better part of an evening beating my head against
> this.  Every time I start an install process for any of the games I'm
> trying to install, Winex throws an unhandled exception and goes into
> GDB.
>
> Does anyone out there have winex working on fedora, and can I compare
> notes with you?
>
> CJK

Well, the GDB errors appear to have been caused by a borked nvidia
driver install.  (I hope that you've NEVER installed the straight nvidia
drivers without following the directions here... (for Fedora)
http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#nVidia)

On reinstall of the system (fastest easiest way to fix...) everything
was peachy.  Then a night passed, and in the morning, winex started
telling me that it couldn't exec things, giving an error=21.

This is buried in the transgaming site (grumble... fix your site so that
finding info is, if not easy, not fscking hard.) and is to edit the
/etc/sysconfig/prelink set prelink to no and rerun the daily cronjob.
/etc/cron.daily/prelink.

This could slow some operations down, but I haven't noticed anything.
Have I shot myself in the foot somewhere else?

CJK

--
Chris Knowles <chrisk at trilug.org>