[TriLUG] OT: Contemplations on tolerance...

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Mar 3 07:24:21 EST 2004

On 2 Mar 2004, Jon Carnes wrote:

> The Triangle Linux Users Group is one of the finest Open Source
> Communities in the world.

+1

I wouldn't consider myself as well travelled as many here, but I've been
around and I've seen a few things, been a few places, met a few people.
TriLUG is definitely IMO a superlative users group.  Why else would I
continue to be involved now from the other side of the Mason-Dixon line?
I've attended meetings for a number of LUGs up this way and have been left
unimpressed.

> For that reason folks as far away as Calgary
> and even further have opted to join us.

I don't know, Jon, I'm thinking maybe you've been duped on that one.

Ultimately I think the community needs both kinds of voices.  Too many of
the overly patient voices can get the newbie stuck in a rut, left
unchallenged.  The ocassional sharp poke with a stick can chase people
off, true, but when applied at the right time it can be an effective tool
to get people to read up a little more before posting questions and learn
the skills of resourcefulness.

You're clearly one of the people answering more questions than asking, and
I think a lot of that has to do with your ability to find answers for
yourself when these questions have been anticipated and documented (or
even answered to a previous questioner and indexed by Google).

Don't forget the old proverb about giving a man a fish vs. teaching him to
fish.  Sometimes the would-be fisherman gets a bit lazy and enjoys the
free fish handouts, and needs a good kick in the can to get motivated and
learn how to fish for himself.

The Calgary Troll, BTW, wasn't here to ask any questions or learn about
Open Source Software.  He was here to start trouble, nothing more, nothing
less.