[TriLUG] lazy sysadmin

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Wed Mar 3 08:45:34 EST 2004

so you think you're lazy, eh?

yesterday i was working on a rack mount server with a colleague of mine,
the server was installed near the top of the rack, we were sitting down
using a keyboard tray/monitor lower in the rack.  the box had a borked
initrd and bootloader, so we were booting a rescue CD in order to fix it.
after making a few changes, he ran the following commands:

# vgscan (to get a list of available logical volumes)
# vgchange -a y /dev/volume1 (make the LV available)
# mount /dev/volume1/root /mnt (mount a filesystem)
# chroot /mnt (change into that filesystem's jail)
# mount /dev/volume1/usr /usr (mount another filesystem)
# eject (eject the cd)
# umount /usr (unmount filesystem)
# exit (leave the chroot jail)
# umount /mnt (unmount filesystem)
# shutdown -r now (reboot)

when i asked him why he ran all of those commands, he replied "the rescue
CD doesn't have the eject command, and i didn't feel like standing up to
eject the CD".  now *that* is a lazy sysadmin.  and you know what?  i
salute him.

jason