[TriLUG] Strange UI Problem....

Brian Weaver weave at oculan.com
Wed Mar 3 11:38:53 EST 2004

Jeremy,

I just discovered the Gnome/GTK2 flames on the web prior to reading
your e-mail. I was about to respond to the list, in part to apologize
to the KDE folks. It does appear that all my issues are with respect
to GTK2 apps. In particular Thunderbird and FireFox. Aside from Konsole
they are really the only two other apps that I run with any consistency.

Now that I think about it the problem started with the 0.5 release of
Thunderbird and 0.8 release of Firefox.

The thing that really gripes me is that the left-to-right OK/Cancel order
only has about 10+ years of inertia behind it. I really wonder WTF the
justification for the change was? Are they saying that Cancel is hit more
often then OK, and thus it should be the first choice? I've worked with
computers for a long time now (it really gives me pause about how old I
am now) and I've used a LOT of bad interface. Sometime BAD is better than
RIGHT as long as it is CONSISTENT! Yeah, we all like to have things done
the right way, but I'd hazzard a guess that 99% of the computers users
don't give a hoot what right is, so long as it is consistent.

I was hoping to setup a Linux box for my wife to facilitate her exodus
from Windows. I'm not so sure now because little things like the button
order, while they may seem insignificant, would potentially make the
transition a negative experience. I guess I will either have to find
a way to dynamically reverse the button order or hope that the Gnome/KDE
folks can come to some standard so it is all consistent.

Inconsistency is the hallmark of a bad user experience.

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Weave