[TriLUG] OT: Contemplations on tolerance...

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 13:03:49 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:22:18PM -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Let us have more gently guiding voice from within TriLUG.

Start gentle for sure.  But also, sow what you wish to reap.  TriLUG
is gentle and its collective knowledge is deep and it ability
to share is proven. It is tolerant of anyone who tries.

We all got a lesson in security and ettiquete.  The Calgary post
was Yahoo message board quality. Courtesy to Calgary was undeserved
and too much to require of volunteers. The exchange is a reminder that
TriLUG and other useful lists are gifts and should be treated as
such.

Personally, I had a good laugh while reading the entire thread.

I also hope that Calgary comes back or just lurks.  Calgary can
change indentity and fit right in.  Probably has some strong
opinions that would make for good exchanges. If Calgary is lurking
I recommend learning Ethereal and using it while you fetch email, use
telnet and fpt, and use the web to get a first hand look at what a joke
those passwords are.  Any bored employee at your ISP can own you.
--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com