[TriLUG] another beige g3 question

Brian A. Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Thu Mar 4 00:46:58 EST 2004

Hi,
  This is just a general tip for adding drives and IDE in general..  "Chain"
is a poor term to use when referring to IDE--IDE is not nearly so
"chain-ish" as is, for example, SCSI.  For any particular IDE channel (think
of a channel, in simplest terms, as one mobo/controller connector and one
cable), there can only be two devices--a master and a slave.  In your
particular case, it looks like your secondary IDE already has its maximum of
two devices.  If you examine jumpers on those two devices, you'll likely
find one set to Master and one set to Slave (or one or both could be set to
Cable Select, if the system supports it).
  If there is only one device connected to the primary IDE channel, that is
where the new hard drive needs to go.  If it looks like there is nowhere to
connect it, then you will need to procure a two-device IDE cable.  Examine
the jumper settings on the existing drive; it will need to be set to Master,
and the new drive to Slave.  (Actually it may not make a lot of difference
which drive is Master and which is Slave; admittedly I don't know much about
how Macs find their bootstrap loaders, the only real difference will be in
how the drives are designated; C: and D: in DOS terms, hda and hdb in *nix
terms, I don't know what in Mac terms).

If the IDE channel is ATA/100 or faster, the cable will likely have a blue,
a gray, and a black connector.  The blue connects to the controller, the
black to the Master device, and the gray to the Slave device.

I hope this is helpful and that I haven't insulted your intelligence.

Good luck!

~Brian