[TriLUG] another beige g3 question

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Thu Mar 4 01:05:48 EST 2004

> How can I get back to OS X?

Boot the system and hold down the "Option" key. You'll be prompted with
a list of bootable volumes. (This works for Linux also). You can also
install somewhat LILO-like Open Firmware bootloadres; this is much more
complicated (although a debian install would do just that)

> I want to put a hard drive in it for debian.  I took it apart,
> and did not see a place to put the  second hard drive on the
> first ide chain.  It doesn't look like there is a place
> to put it.

Depending on the Mac model, it may not support multiple drives on the
first IDE bus (I think). Try a program called "Mactracker", it has lots
of great information about the hardware specifics of Mac models.
(Google is your friend since I can't recall a URL)

> I see an old scsi port on the back -- db25.  Can you boot from external
> drives?

You most certainly can. use the option method I mentioned above.

HTH

-Josh