[Fwd: Re: [TriLUG] another beige g3 question]

H Brett Bolen brettb at trilug.org
Thu Mar 4 08:20:39 EST 2004

Joshua Gitlin wrote:

>> How can I get back to OS X?
>

> Boot the system and hold down the "Option" key. You'll be prompted with
> a list of bootable volumes. (This works for Linux also). You can also
> install somewhat LILO-like Open Firmware bootloadres; this is much more
> complicated (although a debian install would do just that)

This doesn't work.  Maybe it's because it is an old-world mac.  Open
Firmware would make it a new-world mac.

I keep thinking there is a mac 9  app somewhere in os X that lets
you swap it back to os X, but I can't find it.

>> I want to put a hard drive in it for debian.  I took it apart,
>> and did not see a place to put the  second hard drive on the
>> first ide chain.  It doesn't look like there is a place
>> to put it.

by this I mean there is not physical room to put mount it in the
box.  I know that the slave ide connector is missing and I'll need
to get a new cable.

> Depending on the Mac model, it may not support multiple drives on the
> first IDE bus (I think). Try a program called "Mactracker", it has lots
> of great information about the hardware specifics of Mac models. (Google
> is your friend since I can't recall a URL)

I looked at lowendmac.com, they say that it is possible for my mac,
which is rev3,  earlier revs did have problems.

I'll check out mactracker.

thanks b²

--
b²