[TriLUG] The next Arpanet? 10 Billion bits per second? "Woah"

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 4 14:39:37 EST 2004

Keith is correct.  DWDM uses single-mode fiber, but uses software to break
each wavelength out as a different carrier signal.  Compression also allows
each wavelength to handle more data than standard fiber protocols.  It's
tricky, but very, very fast, and can turn large fiber trunks into monstrous
bandwidth haulers, and smaller fiber runs into significant trunks.

Unfortunately, the DWDM gear costs a great deal of money still, so until
prices come down, it won't be very practical in any but the largest of
enterprises.  And practically speaking, I doubt it'll ever have individual
host applications, but would be an option for a trunk to a multi-host
environment like a colo facility, data center, or large office setting,
especially one that might require multiple peer, or site-to-site secured
bandwidth (one width of light for standard Internet connectivity, one for
office to office VPN, etc).

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--