[TriLUG] multicard reader under Mandrake

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Thu Mar 4 16:37:06 EST 2004

Dan wrote:

> I just picked up a Lexar multicard reader... it reads compact flash,
> memory sticks, smart media, etc. via USB.  Anyone out there use such a
> beast under linux?  What or where do I mount it?  I have a normal
> memory stick that ends up mounting as /mnt/memory_card but I can't
> figure out where this card reader mounts.

I use the following shell script because it has just "worked for me",
not because its better than other folks solutions:

#!/bin/sh
# card.sh: Add SCSI devices for the card reader
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 2" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 3" > /proc/scsi/scsi
cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Heres what the output looks like:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: CF Card          Rev: 2.7C
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: MS Card          Rev: 2.7C
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 02
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: SD Card          Rev: 2.7C
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 03
  Vendor: ICSI     Model: SM Card          Rev: 2.7C
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Each lets me know which card reader is where,  Compact Flash reader is
/dev/sda, memory stick reader is /dev/sdb and so on.

Now that I travel with the card reader insead of leaving it at home
attached to the desktop box, I'll probably pay attention to this thread
and do this in a more automated/standard way, if there is such a thing.

Peace.

john