[TriLUG] oldest production linux box

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Mar 4 20:05:28 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 14:54, Mike M wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 07:07:08AM -0800, Turnpike Man wrote:
> > I'm betting for "company's internal use" he may not care as long as it performs
> > its duties.  But a good question anyway!
>
> This thread was started with a highlight of a 2.1 kernel still humming
> along - which is very cool.  Now if it hasn't been updated for security,
> then there's a good chance the ssh is vulnerable.

Not to mention openssl, if there is an apache listening on https: .
That would probably be the easiest way to get in on an old system.

> I am guessing that keeping a sub 2.2 kernel based system up to date is
> similar to maintaining a Gentoo system.

Um, not really.  Gentoo doesn't really require you to figure out
dependencies and run configure and make commands yourself... it's all
predetermined by the Gentoo developers in the "ebuild" files.  Trying to
maintain a seriously old system would require a LOT of custom compiling,
patching, and even coding.  Much more difficult than Gentoo.

> Would it be too parnoid to suggest that announcing that you have an
> old system working dependably might be a human engineering nugget
> to a cracker who might rightly assume such a system is vulnerable
> to legacy exploits?

Not paranoid at all.  As someone else said, that's probably why this
thread got so few responses.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |