[TriLUG] Linux for AlphaWorkstation XP1000

Neil Roeth neil at occamsrazor.net
Thu Mar 4 21:31:02 EST 2004

On Mar  4, Jeremy Portzer (jeremyp at pobox.com) wrote:
 > On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 12:15, Liyun Yu wrote:
 > > Dear All,
 > >
 > > May I have some recommendations for Linux on AlphaWorkstations?
 > > To be more specific, the Compaq XP1000?
 > > Currently we have Mandrake 7.1 and RH 7.1.
 > > Anything newer available from any Linux vendor?
 >
 > While it's not really "newer," you can run Debian stable on that
 > machine.  It still has security updates being made available for it,
 > unlike Mandrake and Red Hat's older versions for Alpha.

I have Debian unstable, stable and RH7.1 on my 500MHz XP1000.  I use the
machine infrequently, but they all work OK.  I did have a problem running X on
it as apparently some of the graphics cards they sold for it, including the
one in mine, do not have XFree86 drivers written for them (IIRC, I was told
they never will).  You could always put another card in, or display X apps to
another machine (I do the latter).

I recommend Debian.  Debian unstable will eventually become Debian stable, so
that is likely to be one of the most (if not the most) up to date alpha
distributions.

--
Neil Roeth