[TriLUG] 5 Reasons to Choose UNIX instead of Linux

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Mar 4 21:43:33 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 17:18, Jon Carnes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:59, David R.Matusiak wrote:
> > > just in case you needed a laugh on this sunny Thursday:
> > >
> > > http://sco.com/5reasons/
> > >
> > > /drm
> >
> > I like the customer testimonials - one from 12 years ago, and the other
> > from 7 years ago!  Apparently successes have been hard to come-by using
> > SCO.
>
> How about this one : SCO UNIX® is "easy to configure, it's not a memory
> hog, and it has more applications written to it than anything,
> anywhere."
>
> Has more applications written "to" it than Microsoft Windows, or Linux,
> or MacOS?  Huh?
>
> The number of lies they come up with daily is astounding.

It sure is. I keep wondering if the idiocy spewing from that company is a
sign that (a) SCO is headed down the tubes; or, much more pessimistically,
(b) there are a lot of incredibly stupid people charged with buying
computing products. I'm particularly amazed by the logical convolutions
required by McBride's letter claiming that the GPL is unconstitutional, in
which he interprets the Rehnquist court's copyright holding (that authors
have persistent rights in their creations) to mean that they actually have
*fewer* rights, since in McBride's parallel universe the one thing authors
are *not* allowed to do with their intellectual property is give it away.

My estimation of the average intellect of the computer-buying industrial
world is roughly the inverse of the half-life of SCO.

ap

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu