[TriLUG] send an email within a script

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Mar 5 08:47:25 EST 2004

I run some computational jobs that take (sometimes) a long time -- they
basically consist of a bunch of piped lines into various programs
within a C-shell script.  Anywho, the programs I use have the option of
displaying progress (verbose) or not.  I'd like to turn off the
verboseness ... but would like to have some sort of notification that
the job has finished (other than using 'top' to check and see if the
processes are still running).

Is there a way, within a C-shell script, to send a quick mail to a
specified remote address with a subject (and body, if not difficult) to
alert me that the job is finished?  What program(s) could I use and how
might I go about doing it?

Thanks!
Doug