[TriLUG] making a case for oracle9i on linux

Don Jerman djerman at pobox.com
Fri Mar 5 19:33:16 EST 2004

Oracle 9iAS is the application server.  It's essentially Apache with
some custom modules and adjunct daemons to provide cacheing and PL/SQL
support.  I agree, it's a fragile puppy.

9i database server is about the same on Linux as on any Unix install.

FWIW I'm facing some of this too.  We're looking at 9.2.0.3 on AS 2.1,
or Windows 2003.  2003 is somewhat more efficient than 2000, but we
haven't got to performance testing yet, we're still cooking up the
install procedures.  And no, I won't share the figures, Oracle has a
no benchmarking clause.

In our case (and maybe yours) the issue is that we have a (semi)
mature Windows administration practice.  We don't have a robust Unix
practice yet.  I need to show that the Linux talent we have can make
the servers 'just go' before we'll be totally comfortable switching
over.  Never mind that the Windows servers are also new and untested... :)