[TriLUG] uptodate

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sat Mar 6 14:20:34 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 10:19:33AM -0800, Merle Watts spoke thusly:
> I know this has probably been done before but , I ijust installed
> fedora and was wondering if anybody knows of a better way to do
> updates.

I'm very fond of up2date, although apt-get and yum work very well indeed.

> uptodate downloads slower than dial up and quits just as often.  I
> have updated a couple of things with it but it has taken 2 days with
> lots of restarts .

From the sounds of your issue, you should probably change
mirrors. As root, edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and use one of the
mirrors listed at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors

> Any better ways to do this?

Disclaimer: I work at Red Hat.

I really, really like up2date myself. The added yum an apt
functionality make it very easy to maintain my fedora systems. That
being said, I've also used yum and apt-get as standalone
applications. Both work very well, and which one you choose is more a
matter of preference than extra features.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --