[TriLUG] Re: Time To Ditch RoadRunner?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Mar 6 21:02:04 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 20:50, Brian A. Henning wrote:
> > I've done some analysis of their network (since they added the VoIP
> > offerings) and it looks to me as though the VoIP is given higher
> > priority at the community router level, but then it has a different
> > internal path from the data.
> >
> > At that point the voice traffic is run across separate systems from the
> > data - so the voice should only affect local traffic, and the effect
> > should be exceedingly small considering the Bandwidth used by VoIP.
> >
> > The Gateway routers and other Internet services should not be affected
> > by VoIP traffic.
> >
> > Maybe Ben can give us a few hints on setup of our Local RR.
>
> Heh..  wish this had come about 30 seconds sooner..  oh well, got to let
> ignorance rear its ugly head now and then and be thwarted by those more
> knowledgeable than I..

NP - most of my observations are based on IWAG's.

I'll bet that the loss of Bandwidth is most likely caused by the
onslaught of current viral activity.  The past two weeks have been worse
than any in recorded history. They are overloading both web and mail
servers across the internet.

Now is a really good time to make that jump to Linux on your
Workstation.  I've been running with nothing but for over two years now!

Jon