[TriLUG] Re: Debian on Dell

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Sat Mar 6 22:33:15 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 17:56, Timothy A. Chagnon wrote:
> > "Since the Linux kernel does not support a binary driver interface, we
> > provide for rebuilding these files on the target machine (or distribution)
> > and then linking with the binary version of the NV kernel driver."
> >
> > but I'm not sure what this means.
>
> The nvidia installer does contain source code so when you install a new
> kernel you can rebuild the module for it.  The source is all copyright
> NVidia though, and the installer is an all inclusive shell script which
> is probably why it's referred to as binary a lot.

I don't think this is correct.  NVidia distributes the compiled object
files for their driver in the shell script and just link them against
the kernel you are running during installation.

--[Lance]

--
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.angelfire.com/nc/celebratethecircle/