[TriLUG] OT - home work assignment

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Sun Mar 7 18:32:27 EST 2004

Merle,

	I'd also suggest that he put something about career track,
- - Where do you see this work taking you in your career?
- - Size of the company is also important.
- - What other roles do people you work with fulfill.

My title is "Client Server planning Engineer"
I do project work in a >30,000 employee company, working as a part of a
group that includes
	- Project Managers
	- Network (routers, switches) folks
	- "Operations folks", Operations folks defined as the people that do
day to day maintenance work on running production systems.
	- Business folks with a problem to solve
	- Programmers
	- Various and sundry managers, usually far too many.
When we have a project to do something like a new HR app, that will
track job openings and applicants, we take the time to interview the
business folks to get their requirements. We then proceed to work
through a standard development process.
	- Requirements
	- Design
	- Plan
	- Develop
	- Deploy/implement

Of course we do this all the time, ;') Except when we don't, then we
rush through the politics of the situation, and get something to work
quickly. ;')

I repeat my personal mantra
	Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two!

I would say that a starting administrator, systems that is, could aspire
to my kind of work as a step in the career, but many great
administrators stick with that and are really happy.  My next step,
don't know, most likely some kind of management role, just hope that I
don't fall into the pattern of so many bad managers that I see.  You
should lead people, and manage things.

Good lucy with the paper!

	Kevin

Merle Watts wrote:
| My son is going to UNCC and has a paper he has to write.  He is
supposed to interview network admin type people and write  a report
directed at people looking at system administration as a career.