[TriLUG] OT - home work assignment

Roberto J. Dohnert webwarrior at gnu-darwin.org
Mon Mar 8 02:05:23 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Chris Knowles
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 5:38 PM
To: Merle Watts; Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] OT - home work assignment

" I'm titled a "Network Operations Coordinator" which is HR talk for
"Network Administrator/System Administrator, but if we put administrator
in his title we have to pay him more." "

That's funny how they come up with clever terms in HR, while my duties
are Network/System admin I am called the Lead Information Technology
Technician, as you stated chris, if they put administrator in my title
then they worry they have to pay more.

" I'm sort of a many hat wearing computer guy.  I admin several systems,
and control great chunks of network too. "

I control everything.

" Some of the people out there are sys admins that are just sys admins
and
some are net admins that are just net admins, but I think the bigger
category are those that do a little of (or a lot of) both. "

In my reply to Merle I told him from my experience most companies have
their techs do both.  That's one of the reasons why work calls all of
our techs, Information Technology Technicians, we deal with everything.
In our company we have me who is the lead technician and we have a Chief
of Information Technology who doesn't do a thing but sit in his office
and drink coffee and surf the web, he may go to a meeting and he is
supposed to make all IT decisions but he usually leaves it up to me to
decide whats best, any purchases I have to get him to sign for and he
deals with licensing issues.  One thing I do like about him is that he
does trust my judgement and if I tell him we need something we usually
get it.

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 17:24, Merle Watts wrote:
> My son is going to UNCC and has a paper he has to write.  He is
supposed to interview network admin type people and write  a report
directed at people looking at system administration as a career.