[TriLUG] Seeking Free-Software-friendly laptop suggestions

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Mon Mar 8 10:55:10 EST 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Matt Matthews wrote:

> So, does anyone have suggestions?

HP/Compaq Evo's have not worked well for me with Linux.  Now while there
may be third party modules and such you can download and install, if it's
not in the mainstream distros I consider it not friendly.  Keep that in
mind.

But that said, much of the hardware in the HP/Compaq Evo n8000c was more
pain than necessary to get working.

I've had much different results with several recent IBM thinkpads, all
different models.  For years IBM has been pretty good about Linux
compatibility with a few exceptions.

If you want to go cheap and different, you can always get an Apple iBook
and slap Yellowdog on there.